One of my favorite bloggers to follow is Brooke from Nesting with Grace. She has such great ideas and her house is just beautiful. She recently shared a “light trick” to add lighting without running electricity! I was so intrigued and quickly started searching around the house for a place to add some light.
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using this link, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
I ordered this sconce from Amazon with intentions of putting it on my new buffalo check wall in the laundry room. However, when I got it, it was way too big for the space and was not going to work there. So I started walking around the house with it, looking for another spot for it.
I thought about the family room, but decided on a slimmer version. I bought 2- they are on either side of the slider.
So I walked around the house carrying this sconce and landed on the foyer behind the front door.
Installing this is so easy- I was able to do it without an extra set of hands.
This is what you will need:
- Light fixture- this is the one I used in the foyer
- Wall anchors
- Drill or screw driver
- Battery operated, remote controlled puck light
Here are the steps:
1. Mark the spot on the wall where you want your light to hang. I used a pencil, held up the light where I wanted it to be on the wall and drew a tiny line above the top of the light fixture.
2. Attach the wall bracket to the wall. I highly recommend you use wall anchors so that your light doesn’t fall off later in time (been there done that ;)!)
3. Attach the sconce to the wall bracket using whatever screws are included for installation. Ta da! Now your light is up!
4. Cut a piece of velcro to fit the back of the puck light. Stick both pieces together so that the hooks of the velcro connect. Remove the one of the sticky labels and attach it to the back of the puck light.
5. Remove the other sticky label and stick the light puck inside the light where the light bulb would have gone.
7. Test your light and admire it’s beauty 🙂
I’m on the hunt for a different mirror now. Not in a rush, but at some point I’ll change it up.
This trick is a game changer. Where can you install some accent lighting around your house? Next to or above your bed? Over a piece of artwork? In a hallway? The options are endless!
Here are some other sconces that would work well with this same idea:
Bought one very similar to this to go in the playroom, but it is currently sold out. The one I have has an extendable arm like the ones in the family room. I am thinking of putting it in the laundry room now!
Go check out Brooke’s original post on the light trick and you will also leave with some gorgeous decor inspo!